Sorry Folks…This Covid business has messed me up these last 2 years. I’m back now and ready to help.
We’ve all seen plenty of trends in home decorating come and go over the years. Some of them look pretty nice and create something of a timeless look, others may only be temporary trends. Like them or hate them, though, following home trends can sometimes have a positive impact on the value of your home if you’re looking to sell. That is, of course, if you strike while the iron is hot.
If you’re not actually looking to sell at the moment and just like the way one trend looks? Will going all-in on some big trend hurt your home’s value down the line if you do decide to sell later? This could be a legitimate concern depending on the trend. After all, even if you’re on the market and don’t manage to sell right away, you could find that going too far with certain trends will bite you before you find a buyer.
Home Trend Dos
There really isn’t anything wrong with following home trends, either to bump up the value of your home in the current market or just because you like the look of them. If you’re thinking of making some changes around the house because of a current trend, here are a few things to think about:
- Evaluate the cost of a trend before jumping all in; some are surprisingly cost effective, while others will give you a bit of sticker shock
- Keep an eye on trending paint colors and the “hot colors” that paint manufacturers announce every year to stay ahead of color trends, so that your home can stay trendy without you having to pay a premium for trendy colors
- Pick and choose the trends you want to follow, and take only the parts that you like if you’re not committed to the entirety of a trend
Don’t be afraid to make some changes and upgrades in trendy styles, but don’t go overboard with it. This is especially true if you’re just looking to make some trendy home improvements before you sell your home.
Need a Professional?
My HomeKeepr list is the only platform where homeowners can discover home service pros powered entirely by real referrals from real people – not reviews. Vendors don’t pay to be on it and you don’t pay for their info. It’s a FREE service I offer. Check it out; https://homekeepr.com/join/scott-stephens
Home Trend Don’ts
While some trends can really bring up the value of your home if you catch them at the peak of their popularity, others can cost you money in the end. These are the trends that you should avoid unless you really like them. Here are a few things to look out for when considering home trends:
- Avoid trends that require major structural changes or construction merely for aesthetic purposes
- The overuse of bright, bold colors occasionally comes into fashion but will almost certainly go out just as quickly
- Unless it’s just a minor expense, stay away from trends that you just don’t “get” because there’s a decent chance that you’ll implement it incorrectly or miss the height of its popularity and not even realize it
- Even if it’s popular, watch out for trends that will be difficult for future homeowners to undo; potential buyers might see your trendy changes and start wondering how much it will cost to change them, and that could potentially spoil the sale
Basically, trends can be fun. Think twice about them though if they’re going to be too expensive, create too many headaches for future homeowners, or are likely to come across as garish or ugly.
Are you Moving
Moving is hard, but I’m here to help! Use my FREE concierge service to help you get up and running faster in your new home. It’s quick and easy.Learn More
Cashing In on Home Trends
If you do want to make some home improvements or other changes to follow certain trends, it’s important that you find the right pro for the job here https://homekeepr.com/join/scott-stephens I can also give you professional opinion on whether or not a particular idea or upgrade will make you money or simply waste it.